Stereoview of The President’s House c1869
The FIRST Lincoln Presenter?
Stereoview of “The President’s House,” including what might be the earliest Abraham Lincoln Presenter!
In this image, the original statue of Thomas Jefferson, erected by James K. Polk, is still standing on the North Lawn, though with a crumbling base (it is now in Statuary Hall in the Capitol building).
On the verso is a history of Captain James Hoban’s designed President’s mansion, beginning with the laying of the cornerstone 13 October 1792. The original cost up to 1814 when it was burned by the British was $33,207.00, but rebuild for $301,496.00.
At various times in history, the White House has been known as the “President’s Palace,” the “President’s House,” and the “Executive Mansion.” It was Theodore Roosevelt who gave it the moniker the “White House.”
Albumen photos have good clarity and are in excellent condition; lt. chipping to the left image; lt. abrasion to the upper right of the backing; lt. soiling to verso.
Stereoview THE PRESIDENT’S HOUSE. Washington, D.C.: F. H. Bell & Bro., 1869. 7″ x 3-3/8″, on yellow stock.
|Dimensions||8 × 6 × .25 in|